The interior was in the lush late Victorian style decorated in colors of light ivory, silver and gold toned with a delicate pink. There was also a large dome with an incredible
painting of seven allegorical figures. The Alvin Theater was operated by the Harry Davis Enterprising Company with feature productions of the Shuberts beginning in 1919. Thus, for
a while, it became known as the Shubert-Alvin Theater.
In 1931 Davis Enterprises was bought by the Stanley Corporation and the playhouse was converted into a motion picture theater in 1932. It was redecorated in the Modernistic Style.
The roof collapsed in 1940, but the house was rehabilitated and reopened as the J.P. Harris Theater and later known as the Gateway.