A theatre on the roof of the building, Lew Fields' 44th Street Roof Garden,
became the Nora Bayes Theatre in 1918. In the mid-1930s it presented Federal Theatre Project shows.
In the basement of the 44th Street Theatre was a small nightclub, probably a speakeasy during Prohibition.
In 1940 the building was purchased by The New York Times Company, which leased it back to Lee Shubert
. When the American Theatre Wing requested the basement club as an entertainment venue for servicemen.
Shubert gave them the property without charge. In March 1942 the 40-by-80-foot club space became the
original Stage Door Canteen, which operated throughout World War II, became the subject of a popular film,
and inspired other canteens throughout the United States.
After Shubert's lease expired in June 1945, the building was demolished. The New York Times printing
plant built to replace the 44th Street Theatre was later abandoned, but a plaque remains to mark the
location of the Stage Door Canteen.