Purchase Street; New Bedford, MA 02740
A.E. Hathaway was listed as an employee of the Grand Opera House in New Bedford
in the 1897-98 edition of the Julius Cahn Official Theatrical Guide. In 1903
George Hastings' daughter, Edith sold the building to Andrew E. Hathaway. When
Mr. Hathaway acquired the property, there was a hardware and clothing store on
the first floor. The Empire Clothing Store was on the second floor, and John O' Neil’s
photography studio was located on the third floor.
Mr Hathaway remodeled the building as a theatre in 1903. It opened on November 9, 1903,
with a seating capacity of nine hundred people. In 1914 Mr. Hathaway sold the building
with its theatre to the W.T. Grant Co.. The theatre was remodeled into a clothing and
houseware store. This firm closed in 1975 when the store went out of business.
partial listing from an entertainment circular for October 1905:
Hathaway's Theatre (Theo. B. Baylies. mgr.)
McCane and Cahill, Young American Quintet, Bellman and Moore, Mysterious Magician,
Miss Artie Hall, LeClatr and Hardt, Gilroy Haynes and Montgomery, Hynes and Mclntyre,
Smith and Green, Castle and Collins, Onri Family, Three Keatons, Elmer Rice, Paul Shields,
vitagraph week; good business.
Hathaway's was listed on BillBoard for the first time in 1902 (New Bedford—A. E. Hathaway, 100 Pleast.)
Programs available from this theatre:
Vaudeville Program / 1906
Under the Gaslight / 1908
Coming Thro the Rye / 1913