Designed by architects Herts & Tallant, the Lyceum was built by impresario Daniel Frohman, replacing
Frohman's earlier Lyceum on Fourth Avenue that closed in April 1902. The new Lyceum opened on
November 2, 1903 with the play The Proud Prince. Frohman's brother Charles served as the theater's
manager until his death in 1915. Among the prominent performers who appeared on the Lyceum's stage
in its early years were Ethel Barrymore, Billie Burke, Basil Rathbone, Fanny Brice, Walter Huston,
Miriam Hopkins, and Cornelia Otis Skinner.
The theatre maintains most of its original Beaux-Arts design, including its elaborate marble staircases
and undulating marquee. Although it has three levels, it is one of the smallest Broadway theatres in
terms of capacity, seating only 950. An apartment located above the orchestra, originally used by
Frohman, is now the headquarters of the Shubert Archives.